The International Oversight Advisory (IOA) is an organization designed and set up by Richard Woolsey to oversee the Stargate Program and the Atlantis Expedition. In 2386, the IOA was done overseeing the Stargate Program and the Atlantis Expedition, Destiny Expedition, Starfleet Intelligence began overseeing the Stargate program, Atlantis Expedition and the Destiny Expedition.
In 2370, the IOA was set up by Richard Woolsey to oversee the Stargate Program. In 2386, the IOA was done overseeing the Stargate Program and the Atlantis Expedition, Destiny Expedition, Starfleet Intelligence began overseeing the Stargate program, Atlantis Expedition and the Destiny Expedition. The IOA was shut down due to Shen Xiaoyi's coup on Starbase Atlantis and all personnel were fired by Stargate Command.
The IOA's jurisdiction gives them the power to give orders to SGC personnel, and recommend or recall personnel from Stargate facilities, though the IOA is often forced to allow operations to proceed how they want.
IOA personnel are generally portrayed as arrogant, selfish, greedy, close-minded and xenophobic control-freaks, typically presented as attempting to force the Stargate teams and offworld operations to proceed according to their views and attempting to pass the blame when operations go wrong.
With time, the IOA's leaders became more sympathetic and open-minded to change from the strict policies and directives they force others to enforce.
Generally, however, members of the SGC and Starbase Atlantis hold the IOA in disdain. Lately, the IOA Field Operations Division was set up to center on combating alien threats on Earth. This has been the most supported IOA decision to date. The IOA Field Operations Division was renamed to the SGC Field Operations Division.
International Oversight Advisory components include:
- Stargate Command
- Atlantis Expedition (joint with the Homeworld Command)
- Destiny Expedition (joint with Homeworld Command)
- Carl Strom (2370-2386)
- Committee Head Carl Strom
- British Representative Russel Chapman
- Chinese Representative Shen Xiaoyi
- French Representative Jean LaPierre
- Russian Representative/Starship Commander Colonel Chekov (deceased)
- Representative James Coolidge
- Starfleet Intelligence Black Ops Agent James Marrick (deceased)
- IOA Field Operations Division Special Agent Bates
- Luthor Dovelock
- Camile Wray - human resources executive
- Dr. McCormick
- Dr. Williams